History and background

Petäjävesi is a municipality of about 4,100 inhabitants that is best known for its old church, which was built in 1764.

The Lemettilä farm has been classified as a site of national and regional importance. The buildings of our farm form a closed courtyard in accordance with traditional construction practices. The log buildings are Falu red in colour. We are located in a protected area listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Therefore, renovating the exterior of buildings always requires a statement by the National Board of Antiquities. Our farm, which is located near the church, has been inhabited since the 17th century. The older farmhouse dates back to the 19th century (exact year unknown). The newer residential building is from the 1880s, and the logs used to build it were brought from Multia. The stone cowhouse was built by Kalle Lemettilä, who completed it in 1898. In 1880–1920, the farm's newer residential building served as an inn. Highway 23 was built in 1963. Before that, the Keuruu-Jyväskylä road ran by the farm towards today's centre. The house hosted the first telephone exchange and post office in the village. This was also a place of trade, particularly on Sundays, when people used to meet up on their way to church.

The farmer and his wife worked at the farm full-time. He handled field work and money, and she was responsible for milking the cows and preparing food for the family and the farm workers. Back in the time when technology was less widespread, the farm had many workers and, for example, milking the cattle was among the maid's responsibilities. Work could only be done when the weather allowed, and the whole farm depended on the harvest. Manure was of great value as it was the primary fertiliser. Bread was baked using the farm's own grains, which were sent to nearby mills to be ground into flour. Products such as milk and the cream skimmed off its top were obtained from the farm's own cattle. Meat was obtained from home-slaughtered animals and stored in salt in one of the outbuildings. Fish were caught in nearby waters using nets and traps.

Values, too, have changed. In the old times, it was important for the farm to be as self-sufficient as possible. Lea, the farmer's wife, baked all bread herself using the farm's own grains and baking oven until 2002. However, the production of baked goods has now decreased.

Nowadays, the Lemettilä farm concentrates on agriculture, forestry and agritourism. Between 1995 and 2011, the farm was run by a property consortium consisting of Aatto, Ilpo and Hanna. The dairy cattle and heifer businesses were discontinued in the mid-1990s and November 2004, respectively. Since the beginning of 2012, the farm has been run by two siblings – Hanna and Ilpo.

Agritourism began in 2000, when the first cottage was rented out. The business has since been expanded, and two other cottages as well as two granaries are now also available for rent. There are 31 beds, 12 of which are for year-round use. At old stone made farmhouse is located restaurant and cafe (order from Hanna).